At the BC Lung Association, we are committed to respecting your privacy and protecting the personal information you may choose to send us.
- You do not need to disclose personal information to use our website.
- We do not use any personal information you may voluntarily provide to us, other than for the purposes for which you may provide it. (For example, you may provide personal information in order to make a donation, send us feedback via the website, or subscribe to a newsletter).
- This website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. We encourage you to read the Privacy Policies of other websites you may visit.
- The policy statement has been prepared to affirm our commitment to maintaining your privacy and to inform you of the policies and practices we follow in protecting the personal information of our supporters and others who access or purchase our products and services (“Clients”). Specifically, this Policy concerns how personal information is collected, used, securely maintained and ultimately disposed of properly.
- BCLA collects information provided in writing (including via electronic media) or verbally about our supporters and Clients and does so for the following purposes, depending upon the specific circumstances:
- to respond to your requests for information, counselling and guidance;
- to communicate with and understand the needs of our supporters and Clients;
- to deliver requested products and services;
- to maintain a record of your involvement with BCLA;
- to conduct fundraising activities and inform you about ourselves and our work;
- to record and process donations;
- to provide income tax receipts;
- to manage our relationship with our supporters and Clients;
- to meet any legal or regulatory requirements;
- to conduct analysis for management purposes; such other purposes consistent with the foregoing purposes in order to fulfil our charitable mandate;
- to communicate with grant applicants; and to respond to mandated government reporting requirements.
- BCLA only collects, uses and discloses Personal Information for purposes that would be considered reasonable in the circumstances, and only such information as is required for the purposes identified. We use only fair and lawful methods to collect Personal Information.
Our use of personal information is limited to the purposes described in this policy.?
- As a general rule, all information concerning our supporters and Clients is held in strict confidence and, except in limited circumstances is not revealed to anyone else unless expressly or implicitly authorized by such individuals.
We may also disclose personal information to meet regulatory requirements or otherwise with your consent, as required or permitted by law. Where we are obliged or permitted to disclose personal information without consent, BCLA will not disclose more information than is required.The BCLA stores and maintains personal information in conformity with the requirements of PIPA and other applicable laws respecting the protection of personal information and privacy.
- As for most websites, our server logs your IP address on our server files. No effort is made to connect your IP address with you as an individual. Rather, we use IP address data in aggregate to get broad demographic/geographic information about how our site is used.
- It is the policy of BCLA to control the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in accordance with all requirements of applicable laws. The following principles have been adopted by BCLA subject to exceptions permitted under applicable law.
- BCLA is responsible for the personal information collected and maintained by it and which is under its control. In order to fulfill this responsibility:
- We have designated an official to be responsible for the day-to-day care and control of personal information, namely our Privacy Officer;
- developing procedures to receive and respond to complaints and inquiries;
- training our staff about our policies and practices respecting personal information; and
- developing and distributing information to our staff and the general public
- explaining our policies and procedures respecting personal information.
- BCLA is committed to openness to you regarding its collection and use of personal information. As discussed, we collect and use personal information for the above-mentioned limited purposes
To demonstrate this openness, we require the consent of our constituents and mailing list subscribers prior to using their personal information for any purpose other than that for which it was originally collected.
- BCLA is committed to ensuring that you are aware of how your personal information is used. We are dedicated to obtaining the consent of individuals who provide us with their personal information. To this end, all our employees or agents are instructed to provide information about how personal information is used by us to all interested individuals who inquire, as well as obtain the consent of those who provide their personal information.
Consent can be obtained orally, in writing or electronically, or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting, using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the individual voluntarily provides it for such purposes. Consent can also be implied where the individual concerned is given notice and a reasonable opportunity to opt out of a use of his or her personal information (for example for mail-outs, fundraising, or public acknowledgement of donations) and the individual does not opt out.
As well, we may periodically request written confirmation from you to ensure that the personal information collected and maintained by us is up-to-date and accurate. We also may ensure that we have your continuing consent to the use and retention of your personal information.
BCLA will disclose your personal information, without knowledge or consent, only if permitted or required by applicable law including, by way of example:
- to conform to obligations imposed by law or statute;
- in an emergency that threatens an individuals’ life, health or personal security;
- as required pursuant to a criminal investigation.
- BCLA restricts the collection of personal information only to that information that is necessary for the limited purposes noted above. We are committed to collecting personal information in a fair, open and lawful manner. For this reason, BCLA does not indiscriminately collect personal information. We collect personal information to fulfill the above-noted purposes only, and for no other purposes.